After being disappointed with countless brands of alfredo sauce I decided
to try making my own. Through very yummy trial-and-error, this is the recipe I settled on.
It generally takes about an hour to prepare the whole thing.
The sauce can bubble a little bit with the heat, but do not let it boil!
You must use freshly grated parmesan cheese.
If you use pre-grated cheese, regardless of quality, it will be too dry and will not melt
properly. You will have chewy alfredo sauce--you have been warned.
Yield: About 3 servings
|4||oz.||Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated!)|
- Cut butter into slices
- Sweat chopped garlic in butter and kosher salt over low heat
- Dissolve corn starch in milk
- Add heavy cream and milk to pan and increase to medium low heat
- Stir constantly, gradually adding freshly grated parmesan cheese (I am not kidding, it has to be fresh!)
- Add black pepper and salt to taste
- Reduce to very low heat, cover and let simmer while you prepare pasta